Deception is a vital strategy in research. A researcher may adopt this strategy for use when he/she would want to hide (temporarily) the purpose of the research/study from his/her participants, but will reveal it to them after they have well responded to the study. The aim is not to put participants in a state of cacophony/suspense but because the results might be altered IF participants get to know about it, thereby putting the validity and reliability of the results into question.

Simple random or convenient sampling technique may just just be enough to carry out such an exercise.

I adopted this strategy the late afternoon of Thursday 15/06/17, when I wanted to elicit a particular response from women on social media, Facebook to be precised. I made an a supposedly ‘negative’ assertion about women “All women are naturally disrespectful”, and the responses will blow your mind, trust me, ranging from insults to personal attacks with very ‘few’ having to laugh over it.

Out of about twenty-five (25) women who commented on the post, not even taking into cognisance those who reacted angrily to the post, about 99% responded negatively to the said ‘negative’ assertion about them (women).

Just a few (1%) reacted amusingly to the post, with the remaining 99% battering me like never before. Honestly, i was taken to the cleaners, whitewashed, and later roasted alive like a poor rat being caught in the web of hungry soldiers in the jungle.

No matter how personal and insulting some comments seemed to be, I kept my composure knowing what I wanted out of the whole drama. Tell you what, it was very interesting!!

With the purpose of my short study (to know how women react to negative assertions about them) having been achieved at the end of the day, I juxtaposed it with that of their male counterparts, where a similar study was conducted (outside Facebook).

‘All men are the same’, that’s what most women say, and no matter where or the social class of your audience, majority of the ladies present will agree, while almost all men present will bitterly object!! So with this, we can draw our lines very clearly and boldly!

It’s obvious, no one enjoys it when a negative assertion is made about him/her and would resort to defense mechanisms in attempts to deal with the threat of the assertion. Based on the responses by both groups, I can conclude that neither would men accept the assertion made by women as they all ‘being the same’, nor would women spare the men should they be called ‘disrespectful’….since each is unique in their own way.

It’s highly and much agreed for one to assert that some men are the same while some women are disrespectful, based on our experiences, but are these experiences enough evidences to make such generalized assertions? I guess not.

I would therefore urge both groups to refrain from making such bold and generalized statements about their opposite figures since no two people are the same, not even identical twins!

Let’s detest and desist from the immature attitude of eliciting such responses from each other by making generalized negative assertions. It has never helped and wouldn’t help going forward.

All men are NEVER the same neither are all women DISRESPECTFUL! That notwithstanding, lets learn to tolerate each other. Let’s make life better for each other, thanks!



Paa Kwesi Mensah

Paa Kwesi Mensah is a product of the University of Cape Coast where he read Psychology.

His love for humanity and an intrinsic desire to impact positively on his generation were what led him into writing.
He's popularly known as "Moshoosho de Counsellor".


View all posts

Add comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  • 8,232 Online Readers

Sign Up

Receive new premium articles for free via email & Stand the chance of getting a free Magazine twice a year.

Join 58 other subscribers

Would you like to share your creativity with the world? Upload your video and get promoted for FREE. Just click the button below: